Saturday, March 12, 2011

Yesterday's Earthquake

Up north they got the real trouble.  So terrible.
 Mine is just another little story.
I was just coming out of Tokyo station when the second quakes were hitting.  The little building across the street had the  4th  floor glass out and already tumbled to the street.  People trying to evacuate, but glass still falling, ladies screaming running holding their heads, me in the center of the street watching the tall buildings bending and swaying like rubber, wondering if this was going to be the big one, streets to narrow to escape in that part of town.

Quite a few moments for reflection. 
Luckily only some small glass from some older building broke.  Funny how it only popped the glass in the middle floors.
Then a 2 hour walk home with the rest of Tokyo all on the sidewalks, every one using a cell phone, or trying to.  I stopped for ice cream half way. 
Someone had tried to take my bicycle in Nippori where I had left it, but only managed to drag  it around the corner to a darker spot and bend the lock a little.  I worry about Japanese sometimes.  A New Yorker would have had that lock snapped off in seconds.
I stopped in the local pub for a pint.  they reported only one bottle of gin as breakage.  Good botle though.
It has been shaking off and on all night and now today.  Sometimes I wonder if it just me shaking. 

1 comment:

  1. 無事でよかったです。
    まだまだ余震が続くので、気をつけてください。

    2-2 SAWADA

    I'm sorry in japanese.

    ReplyDelete