Friday, March 25, 2011

Guilty

I had a an interesting time in the pub last night, connecting with friends returning to Tokyo, getting tired of the scare, and feeling intensely guilty about running away.  I do not think there is anyone here that would blame anyone for voluntary evacuations .  We all felt like it more than once.  I sent my family away and almost went with them. 

But I think there is an intense feeling of guilt, not necessarily from embassy or company workers that just come here for their 3 year tour living in the foreign compounds, complaining that their gardens are not big enough, but from residents, Japanese and foreign that left.  No one blames them.  We all were pretty scared.

And as I said at the time, if a big wave is coming at me I will always run up hill.  It was just so hard to measure or judge the nature and depth of the danger in Tokyo.  You can't blame people for trying to protect themselves and families, and I don't think anyone does.  But people that leave seem to take on intense feelings of guilt.


I feel guilty complaining about Tokyo when I think of the horror people in the North have and are continuing to go through.

Humans are funny animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment