Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When I was most beautiful

When I was most beautiful,
Cities were falling
And from unexpected places
Blue sky was seen.
When I was most beautiful,
People around me were killed.
And for paint and powder
I lost the chance.


Noriko Ibaragi (1957)

The above is part of a poem that Pete Seeger used to make a song some years ago.  It was about the end of the second world war, but I kept humming it during one pf my schools graduation this year.  Students were not allowed to wear pretty Kimono this year because of the earthquake/tsunami.


A lot of the past seems to be reflected in the current troubles.  I feel like visiting the Luck Dragon again.  It was interesting to restudy that incident that was the motivation behind that Japanese, then the world, Ban the Bomb movement, fighting above ground testing and the movie Godzilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment