Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Not the big one yet

A friend in Yokohama asked me about my earthquake experience, after 3 weeks I feel about what I felt those first few seconds of the shake.  It was kind of big, but for Tokyo not the big one at all.  Just a very smooth shake.  Tohoku of course got their big one.

I was in Maruzen bookstore.  No books fell.  In my studio (my Taisho built old wooden studio)  my banjo was still leaning against the wall where I left it.  Pretty smooth shake.

I put a link to William Faulkner's Nobel Prize speech up on my facebook yesterday.  It seems particularly appropriate to Japan, especially to the Tokyo area.  He was talking about fear of the bomb in 1950, but I think it is a lot of that pent up residual fear we see folks wallowing in here today.  Also we are being plagued but "the peaceful atom" a scam by the defense industry to make people more accepting of nuclear weapons.  Or perhaps just a by product there of, like the modern fertilizer industry after the WW2 bomb factories were looking what to do with their massive production of nitrogen.

So it goes. 

But none the less a sunny day.

 Faulkner's speech -
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1949/faulkner-speech.html

No comments:

Post a Comment