Saturday, October 4, 2014

exhibition walls

ichijo walls
Every year for the past 23 I have had an exhibition in October in Yanaka.

Next week my exhibition will open.



Preparing for the exhibition I start with the walls.  If you are going to show paintings you will probably want to hang them on the wall. Galleries always have walls, it is a central part of being a gallery, unless your gallery is inside a Japanese house. For everyone knows that Japanese houses have no walls.

Japanese houses have doors. They have windows, they have sliding paper screens between rooms and paper doors to cover the closet. My little Taisho era tenement row house has no walls at all. Sometimes I lay awake at night wondering how the roof stays up. 


So every year when I make my exhibition I start with the walls.

more information at jimhathawayink.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment