Friday, February 4, 2011

yesterday's beans

It was such a delightful time yesterday afternoon at the local temple near my studio, little kids old folks, parents, priests and old style entertainers, Japanese box jugglers, local dignitaries and the like up on the temple stage, Then the throwing of the beans and some kids candy - caramels, that sail pretty good, and bags of potato chips that float.  Folks so excited to get some lucky beans.  Kind of a riot of happy.  A stark counterpoint to the Egyptians getting the government gun thugs in their faces this week.

It was just such a nice neighborhood thing, people behaving so well, special roped off area for the young kids from the local preschool, so they can get up front and not get trampled.

I made my own mask for coming home after teaching.  My family was ready. They heard me come in and started to shout in Japanese - "Devils out!"  and I got pelted with popcorn kernels.  The local market was out of beans.  I have to say corn hurts. But we cleansed our house of devils for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment